[Users] Switching from Thunderbird to claws-mail.

Liz Dodd edodd at billiau.net
Tue Aug 11 03:31:47 CEST 2020

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 10:20:47 +1200
Rolf Turner <r.turner at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:

> Questions:
> ==========
>
> 1.  Will claws-mail allow me to get away from the flakiness I am
> currently experiencing with Thunderbird?
Most likely

> 2.  Does claws-mail have message filters, at least somewhat analogous
> to those provided by Thunderbird?
Excellent message filtering. I use a couple of hundred at least. As I
do not know about Thunderbird filters I use filters to move everything
into different folders, some on the IMAP server and some on the local
machine. Both can be achieved by putting a "copy" in the filter.

> 3.  How easy (or difficult) will it be for me to import my elaborate
> tree of saved message folders from Thunderbird into claws-mail?
> Impossible?  Possible but gruellingly arduous?  Piece of cake (said
> he, optimistically)?  Please note that since I have an enormous
> number of saved emails to which I'd like to retain access, I would
> need to import them in a fairly automated manner, and not in a kludgy
> one-by-one manner.

I don't know of any automated way. I started some moving here where I
select the entire folder contents to move and do something else for 5
minutes.

> 4.  Are there any pitfalls or Traps for Young Players that I have not
> envisaged in the foregoing?

Yes. Claws-mail is aimed at those with some computer skills and ability
to think logically. It doesn't suit everybody.

> I hope that these questions make sense and are not inappropriate, and
> that one or more of you will be able to provide me with some useful
> answers.
Expect others to answer too

Liz