[Users] Using Claws with Gmail

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Sat Sep 21 17:23:51 CET 2019

Hey there,

Gregg Conroy wrote:

>Thanks for the replies on this.  Still having the same problem.  To
>recap: Advanced, Ports set to 587 for SMTP and 995 for POP
>SSL/TLS setting -POP - use SSL/TLS and SMTP - Use STARTTLS
>command to start encrypted session, no entries in Client
>Certificates, Automatically accept valid SSL/TLS certificates
>checked and Use non-blocking SSL/TLS not checked
>
>Confirmed by signing in in browser that user name/password are
>correct, in Claws have double checked the used name and password,
>have deleted and retyped password. also confirmed that account is
>set to use less secure app and POP is enabled.  Account shows that
>one
>
>>The error message I get when I try to retrieve mail is:
>>"Account 'acountname at gmail.com': Connecting to POP3 server:
>>pop.gmail.com:995...
>>[2019-09-20 13:19:29] POP< +OK Gpop ready for requests from
>>162.238.244.32 e10mb54567198oct
>>[2019-09-20 13:19:29] POP> USER Info.VVA1140 at gmail.com
>>[2019-09-20 13:19:29] POP< +OK send PASS
>>[2019-09-20 13:19:29] POP> PASS ********
>>[2019-09-20 13:19:29] POP< -ERR [AUTH] Username and password not
>>accepted. *** error occurred on authentication
>>*** Authentication failed."
>
>TIA.

Have you double-checked these settings in your Gmail account?
	1. Log into your Gmail account in your browser.
	2. Click the gear in the upper right corner and choose
	"Settings" from the drop-down menu.
	3. Click the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" tab at the top.
	4. In the "POP download" section, make sure that number 1
	says "Status: POP is enabled for all mail" by choosing one of
	the two radio buttons that enable POP.
	5. In the "IMAP access" section, make sure that your status
	is "Status: IMAP is disabled" by choosing the "Disable IMAP"
	radio button.
	6. If you made any changes, click the "Save Changes" button
	at the bottom.
	7. Log out of your Gmail account in your browser.
	8. Try fetching mail with Claws Mail.

If you got to step 6 without having made any changes, then the above
steps won't help. In that case, it might be some more of your settings
for that account in Claws Mail.

When you edit your account settings:
	* Do you have your full Gmail address (including the
	  @gmail.com part) as the "Mail address" in the "Basic" tab?
	  I do.
	* Is your "Protocol" POP3 and set to "Auto-configure" in the
	  "Basic" tab? Mine is.
	* Do you have pop.gmail.com for "Server for receiving" in the
	  "Basic" tab? I do.
	* Is your "User ID" your full Gmail address (including the
	  @gmail.com part) in the "Basic" tab? Mine is.
	* Do you have a check in the box for "Use secure
	  authentication (APOP) in the "Receive" tab? I don't.

Here's hoping some of this will be of use.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.