[Users] Some Parts of Some Emails Not Included in Reply

Dustin Miller dustbiz at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 04:20:53 CET 2019

> Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2019 13:23:54 +0100
> From: "Jeremy Nicoll" <jn.ml.clwm.729 at letterboxes.org>
> Subject: Re: [Users] Some Parts of Some Emails Not Included in Reply
>
> On Sun, 8 Sep 2019, at 11:52, Dustin Miller wrote:
>
> > DM: From your description and the appearance of the emails both in
> > Claws and in a webmail interface, my guess is my preferences for
> > this list are to receive the digest as plain text rather than as
> > 'MIME'. I did reply to the digest, but would describe that as user
> > 'preference' rather than user 'error'. :) It does mean adjusting
> > the subject and trimming the message body, but I don't mind doing
> > that for the ability to greatly decrease the number of individual
> > emails I receive.
>
> But, a digest contains multiple mails.  Each of those mails had its
> own message-id and other headers describing where it fitted into the
> thread (ie which specific message in the 'tree structure' of messages
> in that discussion it was a reply to).
>
> When you reply to one of the messages in a digest, how do you make
> sure your reply's headers contain the info that tells everyone else
> where your new reply fits into the original message's thread?
>
> Just changing the subject isn't enough.   I'm sure I am not the only
> person who routinely ignore replies that don't show up in threads
> properly.

DM: Good point, Jeremy. I knew this wasn't an issue for me since my
email usage relies very little (if at all) on threading, headers, etc.
But I did wonder (probably b-c of being a regular reader on this list)
whether my approach to replying to this list would cause issues with
other users who have a different email usage.

DM: I think I've probably already been a bit exposed to the MIME-style
digest approach since the descriptions I've seen in this thread remind
me of the way that Gmail handles their threading online -- what I'm
specifically remembering is that all the emails were combined under one
'Conversation' link, but there was a 'Reply' link associated with each
individual email.

DM: Anyway, for netiquette's sake and since I don't have any big reason
(that I know of yet) for preferring 'plain text' over 'MIME' digests,
it seems to make the most sense to just switch to MIME. So I've done
that now, and will see if it's as painless as I'm assuming it will be.

DM: I appreciate you taking the time to reply -- I've learned a lot
through this list thus far and will probably learn much more. As my
96-year-old grandma might say, "I went to school today." :) ---Dustin