[Users] Consider packaging claws-mail as flatpak

Brian bvamundsen at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 3 16:34:01 CET 2019

Ricardo,
The slackbuilds.org directory is a set of scripts to build applications
in a way that will load and follow the official Slackware base system
method. They are third-party scripts of programs that users
have written and desire to make available to other Slackware users.
Although the scripts are checked for consistency with the base system
by volunteers, the resulting programs are not supported by Slackware,
nor associated with the official core Slackware team.  The scripts may
actually cause issues with the base system.
As such the programs available on slackbuilds.org are not official or
supported by Slackware.

Slackware's official mail program is MUTT for MH support.  Or GNUMail
through emacs.  But I prefer claws-mail for its graphical interface.
Yes, claws-mail itself is not part of the Slackware core but a
slackbuild.  But I also have control of, and only one version, of the
dependencies added for claws-mail to integrate with the core system.

After reading that flatpacks install their own set of binaries for each
version, so as to isolate the program from the core system, and
results in more disk space used by multiple copies of the same
program version dependencies, I'm not in favor of having anything
installed by flatpack.

I'm just saying.  It doesn't interest me. Maybe others use virtual
environments and don't care if they have to blow away a
virtual machine.

Pax tecum, absit iniuria;
Brian Amundsen, 763-786-5699