[Users] What files and directories to copy for transferring Claws Mail usage

Paul claws at thewildbeast.co.uk
Sat Oct 26 09:30:22 CET 2019

On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 14:48:09 +0000
Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have viewed the wiki on the Claws Mail web site, including the list
> of questions on the web page at
> https://www.claws-mail.org/faq/index.php/Installation_and_Configuration
> but, I could not find information of what files and directories, are
> needed to be copied and pasted from one Claws Mail installation to
> another, so that the settings and the data, including messages, can be
> moved from one installation to another.

The FILES section of the man page provides details: `man claws-mail`.

You need to copy the ~/.claws-mail directory. If you use POP or have an MH
mailbox, you will also need to copy that. The default location is ~/Mail.

If you use IMAP instead of POP, then you won't have a ~/Mail directory.

An important thing is to use the `cp -p` when copying, in order to preserve
timestamps (for example).

with regards

Paul