[Users] Cannot edit in the compose window

Andrej Kacian ticho at claws-mail.org
Mon May 13 21:50:58 CEST 2019

On Mon, 13 May 2019 12:24:38 -0700
sylpheed at 911networks.com wrote:

> CM 3.17.3 & I'm on Opensuse tumbleweed for almost 2 weeks.
>
> Suddenly this morning I cannot use the compose window, everything is frozen!
>
> I can't type, nothing but when I clicked on edit external,
> the changes were in the temp file.
>
> I'm typing this message in vim. Then almost all my changes show in CM.
> The blank lines do not show up:
>
> https://i.imgur.com/6X5voz2.png
>
> Obviously it's a suse problem, since CM hasn't changed in the last month
>
> Any suggestion on what to track?

I would start by remembering when was the last time the compose window
worked, and looking at update log (Suse's zypper should have a rather
neat log of what was updated and when, IIRC). Probably some package got
updated to a version that doesn't play well with the program.

Does this problem persist after you exit Claws Mail and start it again?
If so, is there any text output when you run it in a terminal and try
to use the compose window?

I doubt we'll see anything interesting in the --debug output, this
seems to be a problem somewhere on lower level, between the X server
and GTK.

Regards,
--
Andrej