[Users] Sustainability - Was: Wrapping

Ralf Mardorf kde.lists at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 12 08:32:19 CEST 2019

This is some kind of "Godwin's law".
As soon as there are no arguments, the opposite is living in a cage and
the untruth about the most used computer raises it's ugly head, let
alone the usage of gutter language.

This is my last mail, I just want to correct the fake news regarding
the most used computers, since it's important.

If people do not want to live in oil lit caves in the near future,
sustainable development is important right now!

On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 18:03:19 +0200, John Crisp wrote:
>You may not have noticed in your oil lit cave but the most used
>computing devices on the planet are 'smart' phones (the word 'smart' is
>moot).

This is untrue! Most sold and most thrown away is not equal to most used
for productivity or used at all.

It is a disposable article,
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2019-June/297246.html
not a computer used for driving machines, making artwork, doing _real_
office work, not used for programming etc. pp.,
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2019-June/297247.html .
Let alone that the number of sales does not take into account that
especially tower PCs are way more sustainable. Instead of buying a
completely new computer, just parts of a tower PC are replaced.

>>Btw. how is writing emails with a smart phone done? It's not an
>>appropriate tool.
>
>So you keep saying, ad nauseum.
>
>Just clck New Mail, add Contact, write. Just like you do on
>your desktop, and iFannyPad. Simples. But you know that, don't you?

FWIW the "iFannyPad" is the smallest real-time audio capable device,
that can be used for this kind of audio work. Android devices are not
real-time audio capable. The Apple Pencil 2 in combination with the
"iFannyPad" does replace a graphic tablet with a build in display for
the desktop PC. I'm using a keyboard for my desktop computer, that
makes writing email very comfortable and as already pointed out, I'm
using the "iFannyPad" for that kind of artwork (not for all artwork),
that can be done way better on the iPad Pro, than on my desktop PC. I
usually don't use it for emails. However, without doubts the iPad
provides a way better virtual touch screen keyboard, than a smart phone
does.

I'm not against new tools, I'm against using wrong tools.

On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 18:03:19 +0200, John Crisp wrote:
>>- Smart phone users could rotate the telephone in their hand for 90°
>>to avoid bad formatted lines that are wrapped at 72 chars.
>
>I already pointed out that it isn't actually very easy to use and reply
>in Landscape mode. Sorry about that. I'll speak to Google.

Actually you confirm that smart phones are inappropriate.

Btw. I would welcome, if you would stop using email completely soon :D.
Don't just talk, do it! TIA