[Users] How do I disable autocompletion in the file selector?

Dave Howorth dave at howorth.org.uk
Mon Jan 14 13:07:10 CET 2019

On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 12:16:52 +0100
Tristan Miller <psychonaut at nothingisreal.com> wrote:

> Dear Paul,
>
> On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 09:25:07 -0000, Paul
> <claws at thewildbeast.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 09:35:56 +0100
> > Tristan Miller <psychonaut at nothingisreal.com> wrote:
> >
> > > All of them, as far as I can tell.  For example, the behaviour
> > > occurs with the "Select file" dialogs that appear when "Attach
> > > file" or "Insert file" are invoked from the Compose window.
> >
> > That's the GTK+ GtkFileChooserDialog. The typeahead feature is
> > hardcoded in GTK, afaik, and cannot be disabled.
>

> Is this a GTK+ 2 vs GTK+ 3 thing?  Because the file selectors in the
> other GTK+ applications I use, such as Gimp 2.10.8, don't behave this
> way.

I don't believe it's GTK2 vs GTK3. I do notice a difference between how
claws and gimp work on my system though. Claws is 3.16.0 and gimp is
2.8.22. (I'm on openSUSE Leap 15.0 and both programs are from its
repositories).

In gimp I bring up the file chooser and select a location where
the text box is present and then type 'l' and the letter 'l' appears in
black on white followed by the string 'eashold-reform-0001.png' in
white on blue. If I then type space the white on blue text disappears
and the cursor moves right.

What happens in claws is the same up to this point. But what follows is
different.

In gimp if I press backspace twice, the textbox clears and a long list
of predictions appears below it. If I then type 'l', the cycle repeats
with white on blue autocompletion. I can repeat the cycle as many times
as I like.

In claws if I press backspace twice, the textbox clears and a long list
of predictions appears below it, just the same. But if I then type 'l',
the string 'leashold-reform-0001.png' appears in the text box in black
on white and the cursor is at the end of the string. So if I continue
to type I will indeed see repeated characters like Tristan.

I'm not sure how to check exactly what code is running in each case but
ldd appears to show libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 as the only gtk library used by
both programs.