[Users] Problem with Spell Checker

Paul claws at thewildbeast.co.uk
Mon Dec 16 11:31:12 CET 2019

On Sun, 15 Dec 2019 14:21:26 -0500
Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:

> I assume you mean the one entered under "account preferences". I entered
> the "en-US" setting. The "check box" was filled but no entry was in the
> entry field. I have no idea how it happened. I never use the "account
> preference" because I enter the default dictionary under the
> "Compose"/Spelling" section.  In any case, I filled in the field to see
> what would happen. It corrected the problem I was having. I only use one
> dictionary so there is no use for the personalized ones in the
> account's section. Maybe I accidentally clicked on the "check box"
> before having my second cup of coffee. :( In any case, CM should not
> allow the field to be empty if the box is checked. It should issue a
> warning and refuse to close the page until it is corrected.

You said you entered "en-US", this was a bad entry because it should be
"en_US". When I asked, "Where did that entry come from?" I was referring to
this bogus entry. On looking at your screenshot (after replying) I saw that
this was just a typo in your email and that you meant "en_US".

Anyway, I tested this, creating a new Claws Mail installation. On a new
installation the first dictionary is chosen automatically, both in the
general preferences and the account preferences. So I quit and edited
accountrc with a text editor, making the dictionary entries empty. But even
then, when they are empty, the first dictionary is still chosen automatically.

So I conclude that this is user error, or at least an error  outside of
Claws Mail which should be prevented outside of Claws Mail, and no change is
necessary in Claws Mail.

with regards

Paul