[Users] GPG not offering chance to enter password on screen

Gerard E. Seibert jerry at seibercom.net
Fri Dec 13 11:32:58 CET 2019

Operating System: FreeBSD 11.3
KDE Plasma Version: 5.17.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.64.0
Qt Version: 5.13.2
Kernel Version: 11.3-RELEASE-p5
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 4 × ACPI CPU
Memory: 31.7 GiB of RAM

System Information
GTK+ 2.24.32 / GLib 2.56.3
Locale: en_US.US-ASCII (charset: ISO-8859-1)
Operating System: FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-p5 (amd64)

Claws Mail 3.17.4

When I attempt to send a "signed" message, after clicking on "Send",
the operation times out. No offer to enter the password is displayed on
the screen. I decided to run claws-mail using the "--debug" option. I
captured the screen output and noticed that an offer to enter the
password is sent; it just never makes it to the screen. This is an
except of the log:

sgpgme.c:594:sgpgme_setup_signers: OpenPGP protocol
sgpgme.c:604:using key for jerry at seibercom.net
sgpgme.c:681:got key (proto 0 (pgp 0, smime 1).
prefs_gpg.c:668:unset GPG_AGENT_INFO=/home/gerard/.gnupg/S.gpg-agent
Please enter the passphrase to unlock the OpenPGP secret key:
"Gerard E. Seibert <gerard_seibert at outlook.com>"
2048-bit RSA key, ID 3873063887DEC564,
created 2019-01-19.

Passphrase:

Now, if I enter the password, the messages is sent correctly. Why is
there no screen display? I have all of the pinentry packages installed.

$ pkg info pinentry*
pinentry-1.1.0_6
pinentry-curses-1.1.0
pinentry-gtk2-1.1.0
pinentry-qt5-1.1.0_1
pinentry-tty-1.1.0

Could I have something configured? I am at a loss to figure this out. I
can forward the entire log if you want. It is rather log though.

--
Jerry