[Users] Signatures don't seem to work

John Crisp jcrisp at safeandsoundit.co.uk
Fri Aug 30 19:52:09 CEST 2019

On 27/07/19 21:37, mlist wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have no experience with digital signatures but I notice some people
> use them and Claws Mail shows that. I also notice that each time I try
> checking a signature it tells me "Key 0x... not available to verify
> this signature" and the "--debug" output when this happens is:

FWIW I had noticed similar behaviour when trying to reply.

I put it down to a dodgy key - see my posts:

https://lists.claws-mail.org/pipermail/users/2019-July/024473.html
https://lists.claws-mail.org/pipermail/users/2019-July/024474.html
https://lists.claws-mail.org/pipermail/users/2019-August/024538.html

On mine it hangs with this command shown by something like ps wwwaux

gpg2 --batch --no-sk-comments --lc-messages en_GB.UTF-8 --lc-ctype
en_GB.UTF-8 --status-fd 33 --no-tty --charset utf8
--enable-progress-filter --display :0.0 --ttyname /dev/pts/3
--with-colons --fixed-list-mode --with-fingerprint --with-fingerprint
--list-keys --

I tried some manual commands as per these:

https://dev.gnupg.org/T3972
https://dev.gnupg.org/T4592

But still get the 100% when replying to mails.

I have tried swapping to the suggested gpg.conf with no luck at the minute:

egrep -v '^[[:blank:]]*#|^[[:blank:]]*$' .gnupg/gpg.conf

utf8-strings
keyserver hkp://ha.pool.sks-keyservers.net
auto-key-locate local
auto-key-locate keyserver
keyserver-options auto-key-retrieve
use-agent

Had also tried with hkps://keys.openpgp.org and playing about with the
setting in the PGP configuration with no real luck.

Thunderbird with Enigmail doesn't seems to suffer.