[Users] claws mail network log and SMTP timing

wwp subscript at free.fr
Mon Apr 29 17:20:54 CEST 2019

Hello Dave,

On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 16:04:30 +0100 Dave Howorth <dave at howorth.org.uk> wrote:

> I've been experiencing an issue with sending messages, examples of which
> can be seen in the two log extracts below:
>
> 20:35:18] SMTP< 250 Accepted
> [20:35:18] SMTP> DATA
> [20:35:18] SMTP< 354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
> [20:35:18] SMTP> . (EOM)
> [20:35:39] SMTP< 250 OK id=1hKT6U-0003bn-Qy
> * Mail sent successfully.
> [20:35:39] SMTP> QUIT
>

> [09:39:04] SMTP< 354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
> [09:39:04] SMTP> . (EOM)
> [09:39:42] SMTP< 250 OK id=1hL1oW-0008IA-Mu
> * Mail sent successfully.
> [09:39:42] SMTP> QUIT
> [09:39:42] SMTP< 221 smarthost01d.mail.zen.net.uk closing connection
>

> The issue is the delay of 21 seconds and 38 second respectively shown
> in those extracts. Whilst that delay is occurring, the claws user
> interface is locked out, which is a bit frustrating on occasion.
>
> I've asked my ISP what the cause of the delay is but haven't yet got a
> satisfactory explanation, but in the meantime I have some questions
> about claws aspects this has made me aware of.
>
> Firstly, is there any way to stop the UI blocking in these
> circumstances, so I can carry on working?

Sure. Disable the sending dialog in the preferences
(Mail Handling/Sending/Interface/Show send dialog), or if it's only one
shot, click the Hide button.

> Secondly, is the log format documented anywhere and is it customisable?
> My searches haven't turned up anything.

No customizable, what would like to do there?

> I've been guessing that the '>' means it is a message sent by claws to
> the SMTP server, and the '<' means a message received from the SMTP
> server but it would be good to confirm that.

I can confirm, > is "we send", < is "we receive".

> Also, to know why the
> timestamp shows the clock time but not the date and change it so it
> does show the date if possible.

Yeah, I tend to agree there, we should add the date (or make it
customizable). But it matters when reading looong logs only.

> And does 'SMTP> . (EOM)' mean that is
> the timestamp at which the end of the message was sent?

Sending . means sending end of message. This is SMTP-protocol-dependent.

> So the delay is
> definitely claws waiting for the SMTP server to respond, not the SMTP
> server waiting for claws to send something?

I think so, even if I've never such delay. Are you sending huge emails
w/ tons of recipiends and attachments? They parse the email,
potentially "long" studies (and usually, recipients are validated
before that step, which can take a looong time too, could take 1-3 sec
per recipient as I could see here).

Regards,

--
wwp