[Users] claws mail network log and SMTP timing

Dave Howorth dave at howorth.org.uk
Mon Apr 29 17:04:30 CEST 2019

I've been experiencing an issue with sending messages, examples of which
can be seen in the two log extracts below:

20:35:18] SMTP< 250 Accepted
[20:35:18] SMTP> DATA
[20:35:18] SMTP< 354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
[20:35:18] SMTP> . (EOM)
[20:35:39] SMTP< 250 OK id=1hKT6U-0003bn-Qy
* Mail sent successfully.
[20:35:39] SMTP> QUIT

[09:39:04] SMTP< 354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
[09:39:04] SMTP> . (EOM)
[09:39:42] SMTP< 250 OK id=1hL1oW-0008IA-Mu
* Mail sent successfully.
[09:39:42] SMTP> QUIT
[09:39:42] SMTP< 221 smarthost01d.mail.zen.net.uk closing connection

The issue is the delay of 21 seconds and 38 second respectively shown
in those extracts. Whilst that delay is occurring, the claws user
interface is locked out, which is a bit frustrating on occasion.

I've asked my ISP what the cause of the delay is but haven't yet got a
satisfactory explanation, but in the meantime I have some questions
about claws aspects this has made me aware of.

Firstly, is there any way to stop the UI blocking in these
circumstances, so I can carry on working?

Secondly, is the log format documented anywhere and is it customisable?
My searches haven't turned up anything.

I've been guessing that the '>' means it is a message sent by claws to
the SMTP server, and the '<' means a message received from the SMTP
server but it would be good to confirm that. Also, to know why the
timestamp shows the clock time but not the date and change it so it
does show the date if possible. And does 'SMTP> . (EOM)' mean that is
the timestamp at which the end of the message was sent? So the delay is
definitely claws waiting for the SMTP server to respond, not the SMTP
server waiting for claws to send something?