[Users] timeout problem

Daniel Allcock daniel at allcock.org
Fri Oct 19 22:09:56 CEST 2018

Hi all,
My claws takes forever to start up and shut down.
It does this even if I start up a brand new user in
a brand-new virtual machine.  So the trouble is not in
the mail connection.

strace revealed that the startup delay came from a 60 sec timeout
in a function call select(...).  This was followed
by some messages like "Socket operation on non-socket"
and "Inappropriate ioctl for device".  I can provide more
details if it would be helpful, but didn't want to dump
mountains of garbage into the mailing list.

It might be worth saying that this was the
second call to select.  The first one was just a few system
calls earlier, also had a timeout of 60 sec, but only had
to wait a few microseconds.

Is this a claws bug or do I have something misconfigured on my system?
Any help appreciated.  Even just an idea of what is going wrong.

Best,
Daniel