[Users] deeply indented threads

Ricardo Mones ricardo at mones.org
Tue Mar 20 11:11:46 CET 2018

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 08:25:29PM +0000, Dave Howorth wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 19:29:28 +0000
> Paul <claws at thewildbeast.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 31 Oct 2017 12:14:35 +0000
> > Dave Howorth <dave at howorth.org.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > For most of my folders, I use threaded display. In some - I'm
> > > thinking of one particular mailing list at the moment - threads
> > > sometimes get quite deep, with the result that the Subject moves
> > > ever rightwards and disappears entirely.
> >
> > Quite a belated answer, not sure what reminded me of your question...
> > Anyway, there is a hidden pref 'enable_hscrollbar' which adds a
> > horizontal scrollbar to the message list. It's on by default, I guess
> > you turned it off at some point.
>
> Thanks for the reply. I have that scrollbar enabled:
>
> clawsrc:enable_hscrollbar=1
>
> But that only applies if the widths of the columns on display are
> greater than the width available in the window. That's not my problem.
> I have the widths set as I want them for normal use; it's what happens
> in exceptionally deep threads that is my issue.
>
> A possible solution might be allowing me to nominate the Subject
> column to be expanded instead of the Size column (which happens to be
> rightmost) when I maximise the claws window.

That's only a workaround which lasts until the thread grows big enough
to escape the subject column width on a maximised window.

The solution is to stop indenting when sufficient depth is reached (IIRC
like mutt does). The depth can be simply user configured or perhaps
automatically computed based on widget width, though this probably
requires some extra care to avoid unpleasant results.

Feel free to add a RFE to bugzilla ;-)

regards,
--
  Ricardo Mones