[Users] See the 'FILES' section of `man claws-mail` for brief descriptions of the files.

Andreas Fink finkandreas at web.de
Thu Mar 8 17:49:08 CET 2018

On Thu, 8 Mar 2018 18:41:15 +0200
Removed GDPR <removed-gdpr at example.com> wrote:

> > What you must not do is pick and choose which files within a backup
> > you restore.  It must be the whole lot.
>
> Yes, generally that is the way it should be done. However it is still
> not clear how this will work for IMAP messages for example. In
> particular: IMAP messages are also numbered files locally. I don't
> know how it is on the server (if they have other numbers etc). So if
> you delete IMAP message X locally which results in deleting it on the
> server and then you restore from backup in which that same message X
> is not deleted - will that re-upload the message to the server or
> what?
>
> The other examples which I mentioned still remain too.

How is your described scenario in any way different than
logging into your mail account via web frontend, delete the mails
there, and open afterwards claws-mail. Claws-mail would have in its
cache the email from a previous run and realize that it is not there on
the server anymore, so it should be deleted also locally.

A full backup of the whole folder is the most consistent thing, that
you can do, and expect it to behave in exactly the same way, as if you
haven't opened claws-mail from the backup date until today.

Cheers
Andreas