[Users] Date column misinterprets the date format

Denis den_ml at posteo.de
Sun Jan 21 11:26:41 CET 2018

On Sun, 21 Jan 2018 10:59:08 +0100
wwp <subscript at free.fr> wrote:

> Hello Denis,
>

> On Sun, 21 Jan 2018 12:48:16 +0300 Denis <den_ml at posteo.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi, everyone!
> >
> > In Preferences -> Display -> Summaries there is an option "Date
> > format" where you can set how the date will be formatted in the
> > column "Date". I have it set to "%x(%a) %H:%M" (that is default, I
> > think).
> >
> > %x means locale's date representation. My locale default is
> > yyyy-mm-dd, it can be seen when you type a command "date +%x" in
> > console, the result is (for today) "2018-01-21".
> >
> > But Claws Mail displays the "Date" column in "mm/dd/yyyy" format.
> >
> > Now, I know that I can just change the option "%x" to "%F", but
> > since "%x" is supposed to show the locale's date representation, I
> > thought I should report it as a bug.
> >
> > So before reporting it, I want to check out that I didn't miss
> > anything.
>
> One explanation I'd see is that the locales are different in Claws
> Mail and "elsewhere". What do you compare Claws Mail to? Locale in a
> terminal? In other application launched the same was you launch Claws
> Mail (i.e. from the desktop menu)? Having different locales (in
> terminal vs desktop/"start menu" links) could be due to custom user
> locale being set in ~/.bashrc or .profile, vs defaults set in /etc/.
>

> Regards,

Yes, I compared Claws Mail to "date +%x" command, and my LC_TIME is set in my .zshrc file since I didn't want to mess with system-wide settings. So I should set LC_TIME system-wide?

Is it only Claws Mail behaviour that it does not read settings exported from .zshrc (or .bashrc) or is it like this with all GUI programs?

--
Respectfully,
Denis Shadrin