[Users] IMAP4 with university Gmail account

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Wed Jan 10 02:30:35 CET 2018

I have Claws Mail version 3.11.1 on Xubuntu 14.04, and everything
has worked fine for years, but I need some help/advice using IMAP4 with
my university Gmail account.

The problem is that, for reasons that I have never grasped, Gmail
places all mail into a folder called All Mail, and never deletes it,
even when I delete it from the Inbox. If I delete mail from the All
Mail folder that I have retained in the Inbox (because maybe I will
need it some day) it automatically also gets deleted from the Inbox.
This strikes me as a kind of stupid way to run a mail system, but I
guess I'm stuck with it. Currently there are nearly 5,000 mails in the
All Mail folder, but I guess if Google doesn't mind keeping them, I
don't care either.

The problem is that when Claws Mail updates the account it hangs on the
All Mail folder because, of course, it has to scan all that mail. When
I update the mail for this account I really only want to update the
Inbox; I don't need it to check all the other folders. Is there a way
to tell Claws Mail to ignore other folders?