[Users] Clicking a link in claws-mail opens it in default browser after a very long wait

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Feb 16 19:27:08 CET 2018

On Fri, 16 Feb 2018 18:33:44 +0200, Removed GDPR <removed-gdpr at example.com>
wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> > I assume what you want to correct is the 20 to 30 seconds.
>
> Yes. It is actually more than a minute in my latest test.
>
> > Your computer could have gotten itself in a state. Perform a top
> > command, and see if any processes are hogging most/all CPU or RAM.
> > If so, kill them. If not, power cycle the machine to get rid of any
> > state, and see if it still has this delay.
>
> No, the system is fine. Not overloaded at all. There CPU is not busy
> and there is plenty of free RAM. No issues with any other programs
> either. I can still work in various other programs (including the
> browser itself) without problems while waiting for the clicked link to
> open.
>
> > The other thing is, we have no idea what kind of hardware is running
> > this. If you have a 1.5GHz CPU with 2GB RAM, 20-30 seconds is
> > completely expected, at least when you run Chromium the first
> > time.
>
> I am testing this on a good desktop machine (3.4Ghz, 32GB RAM,
> OS on SSD). Everything flies, really. 20-30s (or even 5s) is totally
> unacceptable for such system. It is not the browser being started or
> not either, I notice it happening in both cases without any
> difference.

Hi George,

Next step: Several times under varying conditions, start chromium from
the command prompt and see if the delay is in the same neighborhood. If
it is, you've ruled out Claws. If it's not, see what command Claws
really runs when spawning Chromium, and try *that* on the command
prompt. Either way, look at the command line output of the Chromium you
ran from the command prompt, to see if there's anything suspicious.

SteveT