[Users] Clicking a link in claws-mail opens it in default browser after a very long wait

H.Merijn Brand h.m.brand at xs4all.nl
Fri Feb 16 18:23:54 CET 2018

On Fri, 16 Feb 2018 10:53:43 -0500, Steve Litt
<slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:

> First of all, keep in mind that KDE is huge, bloated, entangled, very
> dependent on dbus. You're running KDE on top of kdm. Such a setup is
> expected to perform considerably more slowly than, let's say, LXDE
> running straight from startx. Does "considerably" mean 20-30 seconds?
> That remains to be seen.

Hmm, sounds like someone *not* using KDE/Plasma with a grunge against it

Once a WM is running, it does its job. Having to wait 1 second on an
action to complete is way less than  every day spending 15 seconds on
finding hidden features in Gnome^W(fill in the WM you hate most) sixty
times a day. Please don't judge someone on selecting a WM. He/she will
pick the one that most appeals to their flow of work. And when using
the right tools, the fun returns in using the tools and work suddenly
becomes a whole lot more efficient. If KDE/KWM/Plasma is the desktop of
choice, it might be not your choice, but it works.

And remember: it is software, and *all* software is bloated, as it is
created to serve a wider public than just you. *I* e.g. don't care at
all about availability of translations in Russian/Chinese/Slovac/(fill
in a random language that you don't speak), but I do value the time and
effort spent by people making the product more usable for other users.

LXDE might be less bloated, but that does not make it the ideal WM for
everyone. And when using emacs there, it will be just as slow and
bloated as when running under KDE. Sorry, emacs isn't bloated, it just
offers tons of features *I* don't find usable. So much for bloated.

/me runs plasma5 and does *not* experience 20-30 seconds delays

using perl5.00307 .. 5.27   porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and openSUSE