[Users] Some questions from new/old claws user

Dave Howorth dave at howorth.org.uk
Tue Dec 11 17:33:22 CET 2018

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 15:24:25 +0000
John Long <codeblue at inbox.lv> wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 09:41:51 -0500
> Jim Seymour <jseymour at LinxNet.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 21:26:52 +0000
> > John Long <codeblue at inbox.lv> wrote:
> >

> > > I am more lost than before. I am sorry for not understanding, but
> > > it feels like you know something but you are not saying it.
> >
> > I really don't see how they could have been more clear.
>
> They could have been more clear by pointing out exactly where there is
> a tag in the raw message text I posted to the list.

But there isn't such a tag that anybody has said they can see.

> > > Are you saying that you see nothing in the raw message that has
> > > anything to do with tags?
> >
> > What they're saying is there's nothing in the official claws-mail
> > source that would inject those tags.
>
> 1. It is not certain I'm running the official claws-mail source, I'm
> using the Fedora 28 package.

Right, but in that case you should be discussing this problem with the
Fedora distro people who supplied the package you are using, not with
the claws upstream developers.

> 2. There are bugs in code all the time. If claws-mail never had any
> bugs, I would be inclined to trust that kind of statement.

Well indeed, but the devs know the code a lot better than you do, and
when they make such a claim then the first case assumption should be to
trust it. Admittedly, they could be wrong, but that's a rarer case.

> 3. Since nobody has pointed to a problem in the raw message, it
> suggests there is a bug in the copy of claws-mail I'm running. If
> somebody did point out the problem in the message, it could help
> resolving the issue.

To repeat - as far as everybody can see, the original message(s) are
not the source of the problem.

> > > And if so, doesn't that mean there is some sort of bug in the copy
> > > of claws I'm running?
> >
> > Maybe there is, but the devs of the official source can hardly be
> > expected to know what, or how it got there.
>
> But they could point out the part of the raw message text that
> contains the tag so we could have something to go on. Simply
> repeating "the code doesn't do that" is not helpful in resolving the
> issue.

To repeat - there are no such tags.

To say it in a different way: You have a problem on your system that
apparently is experienced by nobody else.

It occurs with every message from every source you have, I think, and
you have several sources, which strongly suggests it is not a problem
with the original messages.

So it's most likely a problem with the code you are running or something
in the path the messages pass through to get to you. Which might
conceivably be other software on your machine or some message routing
software somewhere.

You are using a distro-packaged version of the program, not the version
the devs released. There's nothing wrong with that, I do the same
although from a different distro, but it does mean there's only a
limited amount of help the devs can give. You could compile and run an
upstream release to see if it makes any difference.

Certainly starting with a freshly installed copy of a known version of
claws and seeing whether that shows the same problem would help to
decide whether your problem is caused by some obscure configuration set
somehow in your existing system.