[Users] Reply to List

Removed GDPR removed-gdpr at example.com
Thu Aug 30 10:27:15 CEST 2018

On Thu, 30 Aug 2018 00:50:30 +0200 Ricardo Mones wrote:

> Have you tried to contact their admins and gently
> suggest them to add standard list headers?
>
> Talking to people can be surprisingly effective
> sometimes :-)

For one of the lists I am no longer a subscriber. For
the other one - the funny thing is that I have made
the "mistake" described (sending to person, no to
list) with the admin himself because he is also
replying in that crazy way (+ quotes the full previous
communication, including many unrelated lines). So as
he complained that I replied to him directly, I
apologized explaining the reason for it and kindly
suggested that he replies to the list only to avoid
such mistakes in the future. However he keeps doing
what he does (just like everyone on the list).

Also that particular list is hosted on sourseforge.net
and he may simply not have the tools to fix it. So I
am questioning the value of further discussions about
it.

> You can't, unless you record somewhere which address
> is a mailing list (e.g.:
> [...]
> As described such feature becomes annoying after
> dialog showing twice.

Sure but currently it is a much bigger annoyance to:

- send message the wrong way (+ apologize + resend)
- (remember to) always use "Reply to All" and then
  manually remove extra recipients

It is much easier to see a dialog box listing the
available recipients and simply click on one of them.
It is that simple: just 1 additional click (could be
optional).

I didn't consider recording the lists to avoid
re-asking but while avoiding the extra click may be
useful - can't that lead to problems?

Imagine the following scenario:

1. A sends a message to 3 lists simultaneously (crazy
but still possible) + directly to person B and C:

To: B at domain.com, C at otherdomain.com, list-1 at list1.com
Cc: list-2 at list2.com, list-3 at list3.com

2. B is subscribed to list-1 and list-2 too and
receives the message with all the headers from above.
Both list-1 and list-2 are in his records.

3. B hits "Reply to List" but that doesn't clarify his
intention, i.e. the program doesn't know if he wants
to send to:

- list-1
- list-2
- list-3
- any combination of the above

So in that case it would be relevant to be "annoyed"
for explicitness. Of course that is an unusual case
but still possible.

Sorry for the lengthy reply.

--
George