[Users] Delay sending emails by n minutes

wwp subscript at free.fr
Fri Oct 27 00:56:12 CEST 2017

Hello flyingrhino,

(BTW, you replied to both the ML and me, I think to the ML would be
enough, this seemed to have broken the reply-to-ML thing)

On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 11:39:02 +1300 flyingrhino <flyingrhino at orcon.net.nz> wrote:

> > Claws Mail has no delayed send option, either individually or not. You
> > can send later, but the whole queue will be sent and you have to decide
> > when.
>
> Thank you very much for the response.

You're welcome, and sorry for being late, I must admit that I didn't
see your former post, at all.

> > One would say it should be the MTA to do that (from a workstation or
> > std home user PoV, I'd say it's irritative to talk about a MTA), another
> > one would suggest to use --send from a command-line call using an external
> > {script|program} fired as you want (that flushes the whole queue). Another one to
> > switch to Tbird + send-later plugin.
>
> I was on thunderbird which crashed every few minutes. This is why I moved to claws.
> Once I started using claws I realized that this is the best client on linux ! Even if thunderbird became stable again - I'm not going back !

Tbird crashing that often? It's not my experience at all (and I
experienced other issues), but I believe what you say.

> I used the send-later plugin on TB as well as outlook (my work email)
> and it is super useful - if you ever send an email accidentally too
> early, or a minute after sending you want to edit something - it's
> too late :( This functionality saves you from embarrassment or worse.
>
> For now I'm thinking of reprogramming the ctrl-enter to something
> more difficult (perhaps ctrl-alt-shift-enter) just to avoid mistakes.
> Then ctrl-enter can become send-later which gives me the option of
> correcting before sending.

I see. Well.. if you know that the feature is not there, yes, it's
about self-educating to avoid sending problems. Either by thinking
twice, thrice, when sending, or by sending to queue, always (however
you do it), then review emails in queue before really sending queued
emails.
This subject is not new and it's been discussed here and there many
times. If you often fail, meaning send emails whereas you should NOT
do, you can place safety guards here and there, it's all about doing the
effort yourself, in the end, making your life complicated to prevent
instinctive gestures. I'm not being pedantic here, I often send
immature emails myself and catch them on the fly at the last moment w/
a 'Cancel sending' (I've even re-enabled the sending dialog JUST for
that, to be able to press the Cancel button instead of diving into the
Message menu which may be less responsive) but, but.. it's always my
fault (read it's also your fault, but you know that).

> > I'd be a nice feature to have, unfortunately I know no easy way to do
> > it, at least if you want to sending emails individually, each one w/ a
> > specific timer.
>
> Yes, definitely a feature request.
> Is this forum the correct place to make this request ?

I'd say, post a request for enhancement on the tracker.

Tracker is there, and requires you to subscribe (but it's free!), just
to prove that you're a friendly human fellow user, and no doubt you
are, I'd say after reading your posts:
  http://www.thewildbeast.co.uk/claws-mail/bugzilla/index.cgi

Nota: may any perl-plugin user say if this plugin could be of any help
on this topic?

Regards,