[Users] passwords deleted after downgrade ?

mi codejodler at gmx.ch
Sat May 6 13:23:08 CEST 2017

Liz,

Yes i need to think about a working system. You know, when i started with online accounts, it was like 5 or 6. Then it became 20, 30 and i still maintained the 'old system'. Today, it's more than 50 and i actually feel a little bit lost, including shutting down obsolete things properly, which in many cases is not easy, and mostly tedious.

I don't really need all of them, daily using onle about a dozen, but there are those rare occasions when i need anything else too. So although i do cleanups every 2-3 y or so, i basically have to keep a lot of stuff. This is not about 10 facebook accounts (i hate facebook and ignore it) but special logins for totally unrelated things, like different communication channels for different people, cloud storage things, devices passwords including appstores, technical maintenance e.g. webservers, botanic boards, geochaching, wikipedia, etc etc ... i bet you all know how this mess piles up over years.

And yes, lots of email accounts. My original plan was to have one for each purpose, which worked great so far. But then my personal circumstances changed and all my stuff got accesible in untrusted environments, and i started to modify passwords more often. Now i see why it's not working out and i need something better.

(*As a sidenote, if online / social media providers don't offer a clean erase of data, you can first change your data to crap, wait some weeks or so until it got synced, then terminate. But then, today, they can keep even your full history w/o any storage problem ...)