[Users] passwords deleted after downgrade ?

Andrej Kacian andrej at kacian.sk
Sat May 6 00:40:50 CEST 2017

On Fri, 5 May 2017 23:12:21 +0200
mi <codejodler at gmx.ch> wrote:

> > So the .bak file is your one option. Failing that, any backup of your
> > own you made. (You *do* back up your home directory regularly, right?
>
> Yes, but my last backup is from 2017, April 11. But then gain, i did not change the passwords since April 11. I sent other mails regarding that, but in short, those passwords do not work anymore. And i really don't know what's going on here. Is it possible they get re-encrypted at some time, maybe when you change anything else in the account (like switch from STARTTLS to SSL or so) ? Or in the process of down- and re-upgrade ? Like, some claws key/Cert has changed ? What if the mailbox providers cert change, could it trigger re-encryption ?

They get reencrypted anytime you change a password (just that
particular password gets reencrypted), or enable/disable master
passphrase (all passwords get reencrypted).

I think in your case it was your downgrade followed by an upgrade. When
writing the migration routine, I did not really think to handle someone
doing that kind of craziness.

Regards,
--
Andrej