[Users] Reporting bugs (was: Re: not showing html email)

Johan Vromans jvromans at squirrel.nl
Sat Jun 17 21:04:27 CEST 2017

On Sat, 17 Jun 2017 13:07:52 +0200, Ricardo Mones <ricardo at mones.org> wrote:

> > * wait for the mail to arrive
> >   (At this point I usually continue with other things I need to do, and
> >   forget about the issue alltogether)
>
> Because writting the report in a text editor while waiting is a so crazy
> idea...

Yes, since many bug systems present some sort of form that needs to be
filled in the way they require it, making your tediously written report
useless.

Also, when the steps required can be executed one after the other chances
are high it will result in a completed issue report. When the sequence is
interrupted (in this case because one needs to wait for the confirmation
mail) there's a significant chance people will distract and never come back.

> Well, yes everything requires some effort. Unfortunately effort is very
> low valued nowadays...

Unfortunately, indeed. This means that it is required to make it as easy as
possible to gather usable feedback.

> ... now try to count the hoops required to understand
> and fix a bug report

As developer and maintainer of several open source software tools I know
what you're talking about...

> Very funny to read though, thanks for your mail!

Everything for a smile :)

-- Johan