[Users] claws-mail-3.15.0-2beta3-64bit.exe

Andrej Kacian andrej at kacian.sk
Sun Jul 9 12:28:21 CEST 2017

On Fri, 7 Jul 2017 12:16:15 -0400
Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:

> 3) Unfortunately, the program does seem rather sluggish when compared
> to the previous version.

Hm, that might be because I disabled use of a certain CPU instruction
set (SSE2) for one of the libraries, after seeing that the
"noncrashing" GTK Windows builds have it disabled for 64bit as well.
Obviously it did not help, since we still get crashes.

Just out of curiosity, can you put a finger on what exactly feels
sluggish? Redrawing of certain interface elements? Opening windows
(compose, preferences, etc.)? Something else?

> 4) Under "ABOUT" there is no new version number. All that is listed is:
> Claws Mail version 3.15.0
>
> 5) System info is shown as:
> System Information
> GTK+ 2.24.31 / GLib 2.49.2
> Locale: en_US (charset: ISO-8859-1)
> Operating System: Win32
>
> Shouldn't the operating system be listed as Win64?

"Win32" is just a platform name here, like "Linux" or "FreeBSD".

> I think that at least bumping the version number would aid a user if
> they were to forget what version they had installed. You have had
> several in the past few months.

Thing is, my "beta" releases are just betas in name of the
installation .exe file, nothing else. Windows applications have rather
constrained formal versioning - x.y.z-r, where each of the four have to
be a whole number. So there is no place to put an information about a
"beta" build there. Previous version was 3.15.0-1 (Claws Mail 3.15.0,
Windows package first release), and eventually there will be 3.15.0-2
(Windows package second release).

Regards,
--
Andrej