[Users] CM 3.16 and Selection when entering a folder

Paul claws at thewildbeast.co.uk
Wed Dec 20 10:17:47 CET 2017

Olivier,

Thank you for your series of cocksure, bantam-strutting rants which
seem to have been instigated by a change in GIT which was only a few
hours old, and, as such, are a work in progress.

You are always on our IRC channel and are a subscriber to the
developers' mailing list but you chose the users' list as the place to
let off steam.

Yes, it was clear and known before you decided to state it that these
changes make most sense for those users sorting by date. For those
who sort by date (possibly most users) the current state is an
improvement. This series of changes, in fact, were started after
discussions with users who pointed out the problems with the previous
behaviour.

Since sorting is a folder-specific setting, your patch doesn't cut it
either. What is needed, I think, is something a bit smarter which is
aware of the current folder's sort criteria and then is able to do
the 'right thing' based on that.

I welcome you to share your ideas, but not in your blunt instrument
approach because that too easily comes across as self-righteous
anger. On another thread on this list someone said they were sad to
pereive a certain attitude, but yours can be perceived in much the
same way.

To reiterate, I am not disagreeing with everything you said, but I am
not agreeing with it all either.

regards

Paul