[Users] Workaround for slow message list scroll and message display

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Oct 12 08:08:07 CEST 2016

On Wed, 12 Oct 2016 07:26:52 +0200, Ralf Mardorf
<silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Oct 2016 19:17:50 -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> >The workaround is: Once you've killed all the extraneous processes,
> >close and restart Claws. It will be much faster, possibly by an order
> >of magnitude. I'm even considering doing a prophylactic Claws restart
> >every morning.
>
> The hint, that if a user experience an issue, to stop and restart
> processes is amazing. Thank you for sharing this.
>
> Since you are an expert in troubleshooting, consider to troubleshoot,
> to find the cause.
>
> ;)

:-)

Not my job, Mon. I've been in the code, trying to make one of the
searches recursive, and it's too much for me.

The prophylactic Claws rerun takes about a minute a day, of which only
about 20 seconds requires user attention. So for six hours per year I
can do the workaround. If the source of stateful slowdown is in the
code, fixing it could take me 80 hours.

I figured though that it might help others to:

1) Work around the problem like I do

2) For those troubleshooting it (if any), a distinction that narrows
   the root cause scope.

3) The ability of others to confirm or disprove my observation that the
   slowdown depends more on the history of the current Claws session
   than the current workload of the computer.

SteveT

Steve Litt
== Whose business shall never be mentioned on the Claws-Mail List ==