[Users] Fedora 25 upgrade renders Claws Mail unusable

George Avrunin avrunin at math.umass.edu
Thu Nov 24 18:20:08 CET 2016

On Thu, 24 Nov 2016 10:51:48 -0500, edwardp at linuxmail.org wrote:

> The original version under Fedora 24 was 3.13.2, the Fedora upgrade
> process should have upgraded this to 3.14, but it "downgraded" it back
> to 3.13.2. Why it did this, I do not know. I have filed a bug report on
> this over at Red Hat, including a reference to bug 3733 on Claws Mail
> Bugzilla.

To clarify edwardp's comment, I think what happened is that Fedora 24
came with 3.13.2, and there was an upgrade to 3.14 in late September that
got applied.  For some reason, Fedora 25 has (at the moment) only 3.13.2,
so someone who had upgraded to 3.14 and then moved from Fedora 24 to Fedora
25 got claws-mail downgraded from 3.14 to 3.13.2.

There were some other problems with updates being pushed to Fedora 24
before the release of 25 that didn't get into 25 (e.g., with rpm-python),
so maybe this is another such problem.  (A claws-mail-3.14.0-1.fc25
package was built on koji.fedoraproject.org on September 22, the same date
as the one for Fedora 24, but it didn't make it into Fedora 25 or, as yet,
into the Fedora 25 updates repo.)  I don't know anything about why it
causes the problem with the protocol setting, though.  (I'm holding off on
going to Fedora 25 for a few days until things like this settle down.)

  George