[Users] double-clicking on displayed text?

Dave Howorth dave at howorth.org.uk
Thu Nov 17 01:08:22 CET 2016

On Wed, 16 Nov 2016 23:40:24 +0100
Olivier Brunel <jjk at jjacky.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Nov 2016 22:11:32 +0000
> Dave Howorth <dave at howorth.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > I just discovered that when I double-click on a word in a displayed
> > message, claws doesn't select the word I clicked in (unlike every
> > other application I can think of). Instead it removes a whole bunch
> > of the text around the word I clicked on and replaces it with [...].
> >
> > I can't see the point of this, and especially I can't see the point
> > in deviating from what is a universal interface standard, so I very
> > much hope this is something that is configurable? Or that I've done
> > something stupid.
>
> You can turn off the collapsing via an option in Preferences, under
> Message View / Text Options: Collapse quoted text on double click
>
> However, I'm afraid it sadly won't fully resolve things as then
> double-clicking does nothing, i.e. still doesn't select the word. I'm
> not sure whether this is intended or a bug, though I (too) wish it
> would.
>
> Truth be told, I wish the quote-collapsing option was available via
> another way - e.g. middle clicking maybe - so one could use both it &
> the double-click to select word, which is very handy (and common) to
> select text.

Thanks. At least your instructions were complete.

But I agree with you. Double-clicking on text should mean word-select
EVERYWHERE.

Bizarrely, double-clicking does select a word in the compose window,
which might be the one place I'd see some value in collapsing quotes,
although as you say it should use a different binding.

Not addressed to you in particular:
Has this subject come up before? Is there a feature request?

Incidentally, and also not addressed to you in particular, I wonder why
the preferences dialog is modal? And as it is why does it have an
Apply button as well as an OK button?