[Users] How to place mailboxes in hidden folder

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Tue Mar 29 16:45:08 CEST 2016

Hi Andrej,

Le Tue, 29 Mar 2016 16:08:15 +0200
Andrej Kacian <andrej at kacian.sk> a écrit:

> On Tue, 29 Mar 2016 14:23:25 +0200
> Albert ARIBAUD <albert.aribaud at free.fr> wrote:
>
> > Your original answer was about dotted subdirs in a mailbox path, but
> > did not include any statement on whether CM's config and mail
> > folders could or could not be the same. You may have assumed that
> > this was implicit, but the problem with implicit is that not
> > everyone may see it the way you do.
> >
> > Which is why, at the risk of repeating myself, I prefer being
> > explicit, starting with the initial and additional mailbox creation
> > dialogs where explicit user information could be added regarding the
> > possibility of putting config and mail data together in a single
> > directory.
>
> This is a bit too much, don't you think? If we mentioned in the
> dialogs every possible corner case that someone can think of, even
> modern large screens wouldn't be large enough, and you would need a
> degree in running Claws Mail.

Well, if we compare what is currently happening with my proposal, I
don't think this is much. Let's see :

1 If the user does enter a full path, the dialog displays a full path.
  My proposal won't change that.

2 If the user does not enter a path, the default is a relative path.
  With my proposal it would be a complete path, which is what current
  CM would display in case 1 above, so no big deal.

3 Regarding the additional explanatory text, the initial dialog
  currently sports a rather large unused area below the mailbox name.
  The text can certainly be tailored to size.

> If a user is interested in this feature, they can do their own
> research. At most, I could see this as a FAQ entry, or a mention on
> some user-written guide somewhere.

If a user wants to research that, then (s)he'll find it anyway. My
proposal is not aimed at users who have already gotten to the point
that they know what they want; it is aimed at users who do not even
know that a feature exists that they might (have) want(ed) to user (had
they been informed at least once).

> Regards,

Amicalement,
--