[Users] How to place mailboxes in hidden folder

Paul claws at thewildbeast.co.uk
Tue Mar 29 10:40:27 CEST 2016

On Tue, 29 Mar 2016 10:29:19 +0200
Albert ARIBAUD <albert.aribaud at free.fr> wrote:

> I see one good reason for suggesting that configuration and mail
> folders be best kept separate, and that reason is that Claws Mail by
> default does separate them (both on Linux and on Windows);

OTOH, the IMAP mail cache is within ~/.claws-mail/ as are feeds used
with the RSSyl plugin.

> therefore, CM users know that CM does work -- or at least intends
> to work -- with separate folders for config and mail files; OTOH,
> users do not know for sure that CM will work with mail and config
> files all together in a single folder (a careful review of the CM
> code might conclude that it indeed is fine to use a single folder,
> but this review is beyond what can be expected from CM /users/ IMO).

You are forgetting that we are here on the users' mailing list and
that members of the development team are responding. Therefore there
is no need to make any assumptions or to inspect the code.

> I would go as far as saying that the fact that CM insists on
> separating config and mail directories (there is no option given to
> users for choosing between separate directories or single
> directory) appears to to users as an indication that those
> directories should be separated (again, I stress the "appears to
> users" part).

CM does not insist on that at all.

> I light of this, I personally consider that Chris (or any user, and
> I count myself in that group even though I did take moe than a
> passing look at CM's code) has sufficient reason for saying "it
> might be wise not to use the same location for mail and config" --
> even though that reason was implicit.

what? Even after my original response, where I say you can use a full
path? I think not. Anyway, why are you even trying to assume what
someone else meant?

with regards

Paul