[Users] Claws Mail 3.13.2 Unleashed!!

Ralf Mardorf info.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Fri Jan 22 07:30:55 CET 2016

On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 16:45:28 +1100, blind Pete wrote:
>On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 11:25:48 +0000
>Paul <claws at thewildbeast.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> 19th January 2016                                   Claws Mail
>> 3.13.2
>[snip]
>
>Is there a standard procedure to get current releases into
>the distribution that I happen to be using?  Is it normal
>for developers to send mail to all of the big distributions,
>or to expect them to browse your web site?  I could probably
>compile a copy for myself, but that would not help the
>community as a whole.  Are these things highly automated
>or always a PITA?

The package maintainers follow the development. You need to read the
policy of your distro. Most distros are release model distros, IOW they
freeze the versions of the software and only will provide security
related upgrades. New software is only provided by the next release.
Some distros provide long term support releases, so the user can rely
on a work-flow that will not change within the release for several
years, e.g. to avoid the need to train employees to use new software.

Other distros are rolling releases, they provide the latest software
versions, IOW they follow upstream.

Since you're using an Ubuntu flavour you can follow the
Ubuntu development by the Debian tracker.

https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/claws-mail

The Ubuntu policy is, that there will be no upgrades within a release.

"Support length

    Regular releases are supported for 9 months.

    Long term support (LTS) releases are for 5 years." -
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

Within the support time a release will stay with a version of clwas.
Claws will not be upgraded to the recent version.

Rolling releases usually aren't user-friendly,
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux#User_centrality .

Maintaining a rolling release requires much more work, than building a
claws package (or claws packages, assumed you prefer to split claws
into several packages) for Ubuntu.

I'm using Arch and Ubuntu, building from git for Wily doesn't take much
time.

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ sudo systemd-nspawn -qD /mnt/moonstudio
[root at moonstudio ~]# lsb_release -dc
Codename:	wily
[root at moonstudio ~]# dpkg -l claws-mail-git|grep ii
ii  claws-mail-git 3.13.2-1-geb0880-1 amd64        A GTK+ based e-mail client - git checkout

If you consider building claws from git as annoying work, you wont be
happy using Arch Linux and unlikely any other rolling release. You
should get used to that the distro of your choice doesn't follow
upstream.