[Users] Claws sometimes crashes

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Jan 19 01:44:10 CET 2016

On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 00:41:36 +0100
Ralf Hutter <rhutter at posteo.de> wrote:

> It happened again last week, when i was reading and deleting (moving
> to trash) just a couple of emails, one by one (but at that moment a
> bit fast - could that be a problem?). Claws then closed rapidly. I
> had a terminal open so i looked in there and copied the related
> messages. Any ideas? Is something not right?

I think your key activity here is to find a definition of "sometimes".
How often? What are you doing when it happens? What are other apps
doing? Especially other GTK apps? You might even try piping vmstat to a
log, via suitable filters, to see the computer's state just before
crash.

If it happens only once ever few days, and you don't lose data when it
happens, I'd personally ignore it. When it becomes more common it will
probably be easier to figure out situations that make it happen, and
once that happens you're dealing with a reproducible problem that's
much easier to fix.

Paul recommended upgrading Claws. I've done that in the past: It's
doable, but it's not easy to compile up your own Claws-Mail on a distro
with older libraries, and personally I wouldn't do it with the thought
that it "might" fix the problem, unless the problem gets very hard to
live with.

HTH,

SteveT

Steve Litt
January 2016 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28