[Users] claws mail question

Abhay S. Kushwaha kushwaha at netsolutionsindia.com
Thu Jan 7 06:30:16 CET 2016

On Wed, 6 Jan 2016 23:39:49 +0100, Andrej wrote:

> > If you create the subfolder while on windows, it'll be saved in
> > folderlist.xml as: path="inbox\subfolder".
>
> If this happens, it is a bug. The internal path should always use
> forward slashes, and Windows version of Claws Mail should translate
> it to backslashes when constructing a filesystem path out of it.
>
> I will take a look at the code. :)

No, this is intentional. I had discussed this.

Windows documentation asks developers to use backslash (\) although
they say Windows will dynamically translate any forward slashes (/)
in a path into backslashes.

See second bullet under "Naming Conventions" at:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365247(v=vs.85).aspx#naming_conventions

The bit about / becoming \ at run-time is mentioned as a Note under
"Maximum Path Length Limitation" a bit down.

My uninformed belief is that since folder path is appended to mailbox
path to figure out where to perform file operations, it was thought
of as OS-level folder path, rather than a Claws-specific contextual
path relative to mailbox path, and hence the above MS recommendation
of using \ in paths has been followed.

So you'll most likely see a OS conditional in the code that forces
use of \ in folderlist.xml for Windows.