[Users] claws mail question

Abhay S. Kushwaha kushwaha at netsolutionsindia.com
Wed Jan 6 21:26:25 CET 2016

On Wed, 6 Jan 2016 21:10:12 +0100, Ralf wrote:

> >The only problem is that if you create any folders in
> >        Windows, you'll have to open up folderlist.xml and do a
> >        search-and-replace of "\" with "/".
>
> If the above works, then why not simply linking to a parent mail
> folder instead of editing the folderlist each time something
> changes?
>
> [rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ ls
> -AGg /mnt/moonstudio/home/weremouse/|grep mnt lrwxrwxrwx  1    43
> Oct  6 22:57 .bogofilter
> -> /mnt/archlinux/home/rocketmouse/.bogofilter lrwxrwxrwx  1    43
> Oct  6 22:57 .claws-mail
> -> /mnt/archlinux/home/rocketmouse/.claws-mail lrwxrwxrwx  1    42
> Oct  6 22:57 Claws Mail -> /mnt/archlinux/home/rocketmouse/Claws
> Mail
>
> Links should work for Windows too, perhaps not for the config, but
> at least for the mail folder. IOW keep mails in the Windows home or
> Linux home and add links to the other home.

Because of how folderlist.xml works. We're trying to make sure the
same folderlist.xml is used when the user is in Linux and when the
user is in Windows.

On Windows, mailbox path is absolute. C:\...\Mail etc. but
on Linux, it's relative to the home directory unless absolute paths
are intentionally used.

Second, when you create a sub-folder in Linux, it gets added in
folderlist.xml relative to the mailbox root. So inbox path is defined
as: path="inbox" but the moment you create a sub-folder, it'll be
saved in it as: path="inbox/subfolder". Windows reads this. If you
create the subfolder while on windows, it'll be saved in
folderlist.xml as: path="inbox\subfolder". And when you use that on
Linux, "subfolder" will show up in the folder tree, but Claws won't
be able to physically access "subfolder". That's why, if a folder is
created while in Windows, "folderlist.xml" has to be updated to
replace all "\" with "/".

Hope this clarifies.