[Users] Strange characters displayed in email

»Q« boxcars at gmx.net
Fri Feb 19 20:10:50 CET 2016

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 13:06:40 -0500
Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 11:25:38 +0000, Paul replied:
>
> > I believe that the html part has broken encoding. (It's created by
> > Microsoft Word.) It looks like it has windows-style line breaks
> > "\r\n" when it should have "\n".
> >
> > Nothing to fix on this side. The Fancy plugin uses WebKit for
> > rendering, and WebKit just does what it's told by the text it is
> > fed.
>
> Paul, I have a question that perhaps you can answer. I have been
> posting on a Microsoft Outlook forum regarding the problem I was
> having. I gave them your reply regarding "\r\n" vs. "\n". They claim
> that there is no requirement for that.
>
> Are you aware of any RFC that specifies the expected behavior?

Generally, html renderers should treat both \r and \n as whitespace
characters, and collapse any string of whitespace characters to a single
space.

My guess is that what you're seeing are supposed to be non-breaking
space characters encoded by Word as Windows-1252.  If Fancy thinks (or
guesses) that the encoding is UTF-8, it would display those characters
as 'Â'. If that's the case, you should be able to get a better view
by changing the character encoding in the view menu.

If my guess above is right, the problem is really that Outlook isn't
properly specifying the charset, leaving Claws/Fancy without a way to
tell that it's really Windows-1252.