[Users] Overriding signature,

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Apr 6 18:05:45 CEST 2016

On Sun, 3 Apr 2016 09:19:58 +0100, Paul <claws at thewildbeast.co.uk>
wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Apr 2016 20:31:08 -0400
> Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:
>
> > I have a signature file that's useful for 90% of my email folders.
> > The file is named in Account Preferences->Compose, as I remember.
> >
> > But on the other 10%, the folders have their own templates. On those
> > 10%, I'd enjoy it if the signature file didn't print below the
> > template. Is there any way to do that?
>
> Instead of using the signature options on the Compose page, add your
> signature using a template. Then your folder template will override
> that.

Trying to override an account-wide template with specific templates
turned out to be risky business, because the account-wide template
actually writes to the sub-folder templates if the "apply to
subfolders" checkbox is checked. Sometimes it leaves preexisting
templates alone, but sometimes it strongarms them to the account-wide.

In other words, it's not an override, it's an overwrite.

Due to lack of time and out of respect for my data, I didn't experiment
enough to deduce the exact conditions that made the difference between
the global overwriting the subfolders and the global respecting
preexisting subfolder templates.

Luckily, I backed up /home/slitt/.claws-mail before doing the
account-wide templating, so I simply restored ~/.claws-mail, rebuilt
the folder tree, and went on my way.

Anyway, if anyone is thinking of implementing account-wide templates,
I'd strongly urge you to back up ~/.claws-mail before doing so, and
keep backing it up often.

I've gone back to just remembering to delete the sig on folders having
templates.

SteveT

Steve Litt
== Whose business shall never be mentioned on the Claws-Mail List ==