[Users] Duplicate messages and crashes

Andrej Kacian andrej at kacian.sk
Mon Nov 9 15:18:41 CET 2015

On Mon, 9 Nov 2015 14:57:13 +0100
gabble <gabble at gmx.com> wrote:

> i downloaded windbg, but i don't know how to use it. instructions for
> how to use it with claws somewhere?

Hi,

sorry, I have no idea how Windbg works, I use gdb from Mingw32 (install
mingw, install its gdb package using mingw-get or its graphical
frontend). I'm afraid you're on your own with Windbg.

Still, in order to be able to get a meaningful backtrace, you would
need a specific claws-mail.exe file - the one that that is installed
normally has debug symbols stripped, to reduce file size (3MB vs.
10MB). If you want, I can make it available for you off this list.

> [...]
>
> clearly this isn't working. should i reinstall? try an older version,
> considering i'm on xp and can't do anything about that atm? if i take
> that route, can i just let the mail folder be where it is (default
> location) and claws will see it? should i leave or delete the
> 'special' files in each folder
> (.claws_cache, .claws_mark, .mh_sequences)?

The installer/uninstaller does not touch your CM configuration folder,
nor your mail folder(s), so you should not need to touch anything.

Installing older versions won't help, they will just contain more bugs,
not less.