[Users] Duplicate messages and crashes

Andrej Kacian andrej at kacian.sk
Thu Nov 5 14:08:16 CET 2015

On Mon, 2 Nov 2015 22:21:36 +0100
gabble <gabble at gmx.com> wrote:

> update. it was better a while. i kept the duplicates, moved them to
> their own folder, and claws behaved. now it has started again. i have
> duplicates all over and claws crashes on almost every fetch.
>
> could the fact that i keep posts on the server a while have something
> to do with it? i'll change the account settings so they are deleted
> at once and see if that helps.
>
> i've sent a couple if samples to andrej offlist but it really seems
> to happen to just any post.
>
> sorry for the lack of caps. i tripped and broke my arm and am typing
> with one hand.

Hi,

sorry for not responding earlier, I had a busy couple of days. I have
looked at the e-mails you sent me, and I found nothing unusual about
them. Since you can open them in Claws Mail just fine (after getting
rid of the duplicates), that should come as no surprise.

Just to confirm, am I correct in assuming you are using a POP3 account
to fetch your e-mails? If that is the case, I suspect some sneaky bug
in handling so-called uidlist - the list of messages already downloaded
and known to the application.

It should be located in subfolder named "uidl" in Claws Mail config
folder. I have no idea where WinXP puts it, but on Win7 the config
folder is in c:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Claws-mail. Look for a
file called "clawsrc", and you should find it relatively quickly.

It might help us if you can start Claws Mail in debug mode
("claws-mail.exe --debug"), try triggering the crash and send me
resulting claws-win32.log file, which should be somewhere in your
Temporary folder (again, I do not remember where that was on WinXP).

If we won't find anything useful there, and if you have time and
willingness to troubleshoot this further, I can send you claws-mail.exe
with debug symbols unstripped (around 10MB in size), and have you try
running it within a debugger, to see where exactly the crash happens.

Regards,
--
Andrej