[Users] More generally: PGP in Claws

Ralf Mardorf info.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Tue May 19 11:57:17 CEST 2015

On Tue, 19 May 2015 11:10:14 +0200, Ralf Hutter wrote:
>Since then, when i click on slavko's and michael's signatures, i am not
>even shown their ID's. I am just asked, where to save them. But when
>saving, I have to enter the file name myself, which makes no sense
>cause i don't know the name.

Why do you want to save it? You need to save a key, not the signature.

Indeed, at least Evolution, shows the ID, so using gpg to
download a key is easy to do and btw. it automatically is saved.

Usually I run

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys the_id

Since claws does not provide the ID, I would us

http://pgp.mit.edu/

e.g.

http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?search=linux%40slavino.sk&op=index

copy and paste the ID to ROXTerm

and then run

$ gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 39188DB6

Did you read the man pages? Perhaps gpg provides an option to use the
email address instead of the ID. I don't care about gpg for
emails anymore, so I have forgotten what it does provide. The reason
that I don't use it for emails anymore is that it is misused and you
even can't trust networks of trust. An example for misuse IMO is signing
a mail send to a mailing list, it is as bad as sending multipart HTML
mails to a mailing list.

Regards,
Ralf