[Users] Claws not sending e-mails.

Pierre Fortin pf at pfortin.com
Thu Jul 16 02:17:39 CEST 2015

On Wed, 15 Jul 2015 22:16:57 +0100 (IST) peter jones wrote:

>Hi, I have installed Claws on a windows 7 laptop, and having set up my
>email account I cannot send e-mail. I can received e-mail, but it
>doesn't make any difference what I change in the "Send" configuration
>mails will not send.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-double-bevel-sliding-compound-miter-saw-with-laser-guide-system-61969.html
states:
Incoming Server (POP3): webmail.eircom.net.
Port: 110
Outgoing Server (SMTP): mail1.eircom.net.
Port: 25
Username: Input your email address
Password: Input your password.

>It seems that sending e-mails are being blocked by something called
>Spamhaus, and despite trying all the options described on the internet I
>still cannot send e-mails.

You might want to consider a more permanent email address. Carrier
provided email addresses are subject to change due to mergers &
acquisitions.  gmail, yahoo, etc are more permanent; but you can also get
your own domain and pay a provider such as LuxSci.com to host your email
servers which would avoid this sort of problem.

>I have always used Outlook and have never had a problem configuring this
>program, but  I cannot get Claws to work at all. I get the following
>messages -
>
>[1] An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:
>5.1.1 <peterjones2 at eircom.net> Blacklisted by Spamhaus;
>http://spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=109.79.196.4";. Please check the message
>recipient "peterjones2 at eircom.net" and try again.

Are you running your own server locally?  Many dynamic IP address blocks
are blocked "just because" they tend to be sources of spam this way. Port
25 from a dynamic address is a spamhaus favorite to block.
http://www.spamhaus.org/faq/section/Spamhaus%20PBL#253

Can you provide you settings?  Hard to offer help without the facts...