[Users] PGP in claws

Mike Miskulin mike.miskulin at leadingordersolutions.com
Fri Apr 3 03:08:06 CEST 2015

On 4/2/2015 5:36 PM, Brian Morrison wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Apr 2015 12:29:30 -0700
> Chad Wallace <cwallace at lodgingcompany.com> wrote:
>
>>> That's fine, if the OP had mentioned doing something like that I would
>>> not have commented, he gave the impression that he only wanted his
>>> emails encrypted in transit.
>> Even unencrypted, your local computer is much more secure than an email
>> being sent through the internet.  It's physically secured:  in your
>> office or your home, behind a door that can be locked, and in a place
>> that is regularly visited by only so many people.
> Yes, and subject to variable legal protection against forced
> decryption depending on where you live. Some people have laws that
> actually protect their privacy, others have laws that allow LEAs to do
> pretty much what they like.
>
> It's wise to decide what you are protecting against and take the
> appropriate action to control your own data.

Just want to make two comments on this thread:

a) A local computer really should not be considered "much more secure"
than the message transiting the internet as more and more email goes by
TLS server to server connection.  Even the days of going through many
unrelated servers are mostly past.

b) There is a significant additional benefit to keeping messages
encrypted even on an encrypted hard drive - they are not vulnerable to
malware.  Assuming strong encryption with good key management, those
emails are safe and unusable.