[Users] PGP in claws

Chad Wallace cwallace at lodgingcompany.com
Thu Apr 2 21:29:30 CEST 2015

On Thu, 2 Apr 2015 19:42:47 +0100
Brian Morrison <bdm at fenrir.org.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Apr 2015 19:49:47 +0200
> Johan Vromans <jvromans at squirrel.nl> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2 Apr 2015 16:47:00 +0100
> > Brian Morrison <bdm at fenrir.org.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > If you want to store mail sent encrypted in an unencrypted form
> > > then surely that is an enormous security hole?
> >
> > Not necessarily.
> >
> > My hard drive is encrypted. I want to store mail in plain format so
> > I can use search and other tools. There's no additional benefit
> > from storing mails in encrypted format on an encrypted disk.
> > (Provided the hard disk is locked when not in use, etc.)
>
> That's fine, if the OP had mentioned doing something like that I would
> not have commented, he gave the impression that he only wanted his
> emails encrypted in transit.

Even unencrypted, your local computer is much more secure than an email
being sent through the internet.  It's physically secured:  in your
office or your home, behind a door that can be locked, and in a place
that is regularly visited by only so many people.

--

C. Chad Wallace, B.Sc.
The Lodging Company