[Users] Can't Forward Mail With Pics

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Wed Apr 1 14:05:46 CEST 2015

Bonjour Petter,

Le Wed, 1 Apr 2015 12:28:19 +0200, Petter Adsen <petter at synth.no> a
écrit :

> On Wed, 1 Apr 2015 12:13:00 +0200
> Ralf Mardorf <info.mardorf at rocketmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 1 Apr 2015 11:55:56 +0200, Petter Adsen wrote:
> > >You can't insert pictures in a plain text mail (I believe it's for
> > >HTML mails
> >
> > It's for plain text too, since you can insert text files, instead
> > of copy and paste text after opening the text file with an editor, so
> > this option makes sense.
>
> Yes, I know that you can insert text, but I was talking about pictures.
> For inserting pictures you would need to be composing an HTML mail - or
> am I wrong or misunderstanding you?

One can "insert" or "join" (more on the difference later) just about
any type of data in a plain text mail... as long as the data is encoded
in a text-compatible form, for instance the "uuencode" format. One just
needs to "uudecode" that section of the mail later on to recover the
original data.

Note that the same encoding (and decoding) has to happen for HTML as
well, because HTML mail is still text mail, only with an indication that
there is HTML stuff in it.

And that's where "join" vs "insert" differ: "join" handles the
encoding, and thus accepts any file because it will turn it into a
text-mail-compatible form, whereas "insert" only works on files which
are text-mail-compatible to begin with.

More generally speaking, with "insert" you paste a file's content as-is
into a mail but you don't indicate that it's a file and what name it
has and you don't change the file contents you paste, whereas with
"join" you create a section in the mail where you put the file's name,
nature and content properly encoded.

Note that a (proper) HTML mail is actually a text mail with a "joined"
HTML content.

> I just tried to insert a picture here, and it did nothing. If I
> understand it correctly, it would be inserted into the mail if I was
> composing in HTML - is this incorrect?

... maybe; if it does work for HTML, that would be because when
dealing with HTML composition, claws knows that people who mail in HTML
probably will add images and stuff, so it would interpret "insert" as
actually meaning "join".

But you can "insert" the contents of a file in both plain text or HTML
mails, and you can "join" a file in both types of mails too.

Hope this does not confuse things further. :)

> Petter

Amicalement,
--
Albert.