[Users] Revisiting the socket_dir $TMPDIR issue

Michael Schwendt bugreporter at abwesend.de
Thu Nov 6 13:14:04 CET 2014

On Thu, 6 Nov 2014 09:18:05 +0100, Colin Leroy wrote:

> So unfortunately, not a very good fix?

True. The only benefit is it works by default. That is, without having to
override $TMPDIR. That's not good enough.

When testing whether it would also work with a customised $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR
(even if another special case), apparently I made a mistake and failed to
notice that gnome-terminal doesn't inherit that env var either (and yes,
that's a problem caused by gnome-terminal).

> I'm not very enthusiastic about changing this, because when the change
> will arrive on users' desktops, the new binary could be launched along
> the old one if it was running during the upgrade, and things could get
> real messy...
>
> So probably such a patch should check for a socket in the old place, and
> if it doesn't exist use one in the new place.

Understood.

> Thanks for the patch, anyway.

At Fedora some people still think that Claws Mail should hardcode a
directory for the socket file. That would avoid the problem altogether,
but I don't know why the file is put into system tmpdir instead.

Btw, I'm also giving another try at getting Fedora /usr/bin/firefox changed
so it doesn't mess with $TMPDIR. That won't fix gnome-terminal mailto handler,
but is the lowest-hanging fruit, IMO.