[Users] Completely deleting emails

Roman Brusa r.brusa at gmx.ch
Sun Nov 2 22:40:06 CET 2014

Hi, on Sat, 18 Oct 2014 10:34:45 +0200, Colin wrote:

>On 18 October 2014 at 09h27, Cliff Laine wrote:
>
>> > There's an option on the Other/Miscellaneous, 'use secure file
>> > deletion if possible'. This will use shred if installed.
>>
>> Thanks Paul -- that's useful to know
>
>It will even use shred on every file deletion, be it emails, temporary
>configuration files or temporary MIME parts, everything.
>The performance hit is less and less with SSDs than it was at the time
>of the implementation :)

Speaking of performance: Just coming from a thread in a german mailing
list, where several users had severe performance troubles with search
(for a phrase in the message body). They counted up to 15 min for a
search in a directory of 10'000 mails, while this took around 1 min
here. They did a lot of research and testing and finally found the above
mentionned option to be the cause, what I confirm: Using the option
increases the time required drastically.

Maybe there should be a warning that a particualar type of searches gets
(almost) unusable by using this option...?

Roman
--
Ihre Meinung ist zwar widerlich, aber ich würde mich totschlagen
lassen, dass Sie sie sagen dürfen. - Voltaire