[Users] hydra.debian.net

edwardp at linuxmail.org edwardp at linuxmail.org
Sat Jun 28 19:17:11 CEST 2014

On Sat, 28 Jun 2014 06:23:49 -0700
Cia Watson <ciamarie at centurylink.net> wrote:

> Hi Edward,
>
> I'm not Ricardo and don't presume to speak for him. However, I am a
> Debian user, and I can let you know that Debian does update
> application packages, including Claws. There are basically three
> "branches" of Debian, and the "stable" branch, which is currently
> Debian 7, aka Wheezy, depends on the backports repository to get more
> up-to-date packages. Packages don't get into backports until they've
> gone into the testing repo, which happens after they've been in the
> Unstable (or "Sid") repo for a period of time.
>
> Otherwise, the stable version will continue with it's older version
> of Claws, and will mostly just receive security updates to packages.
> If that wasn't terribly clear, have a look here:
> https://www.debian.org/releases/
>
> And, the Ubuntu PPAs aren't suggested to be used with Debian, because
> Ubuntu does customize their configuration, while using Debian as a
> base of sorts.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cia W.

Hi Cia,

So are you saying that it is /possible/ that 'stable' could receive
updated Claws Mail packages at some point, perhaps before Jessie (Debian
8) is released?

I once tried adding wheezy-backports to one of my installations but was
unable to retrieve anything from it. Although I am willing to try this
again...

--
Sent using Claws Mail - http://www.claws-mail.org/