[Users] Claws 3.8.1 on Debian does not exit

edwardp at linuxmail.org edwardp at linuxmail.org
Sun Jun 22 17:05:16 CEST 2014

On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 20:42:04 +0100
Brad Rogers <brad at fineby.me.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 14:24:42 -0400
> <edwardp at linuxmail.org> wrote:
>
> Hello edwardp at linuxmail.org,
>
> >Would the latest Claws file at SourceForge work the same way, when
>
> No.  There's a (sort of) clue in the name of the site that CM is
> hosted on - the .tar.gz archives are source code packages.  You need
> to compile and install the source code yourself.  It can be quite
> daunting to set your machine up to do source compiles, what with all
> the packages required.  However, starting with something like
> "build-essentials" or whatever it's called in your distro of choice,
> will get you on the way. As the final part of the compilation &
> installation process the necessary binary (executable) files, icons,
> libraries, plugins and whatnot are copied to the required places.
> This is usually under /usr/local somewhere, which exists, for all
> intents and purposes for just that, so any software you write &
> compile doesn't (or at least shouldn't) interfere with system
> software.
>
> >extracted to a different directory (and does it include all the
> >plugins)??
>
> Plug-ins are included, but only get built during the compile process
> if the required dependencies are met.
>
> You also have to consider whether you want IMAP, NNTP, IPv6, etc. etc.
> support compiled in.  These will all increase the number of
> dependencies required for a successful build.
>
> On the plus side;  ~/.claws-mail is ready for use.   :-)

OK, thanks for that explanation.

What I think is happening, is that the connections to AOL's IMAP
server, appear to be hanging. When I delete e-mails out of the Inbox,
then immediately switch to Trash, the e-mails aren't appearing because
the mail client is still trying to connect to the Trash folder. I've
noticed this with other mail clients.

Once the AOL accounts were deleted from Claws, it closes immediately
each time.

Ed